[mtp-teoria] the future like it was yesterday

givan bela g at 13m3.sk
Mon Apr 16 10:43:34 CEST 2007

Two Views

In our series 'views of the decade' we include 2 contributions. The
first is the republication of a former article by Gívan Béla. The
second is a review of the "last year +1" initiative which is related.

Yours truly,

G. Aleb,
Baku 2022 Foundation, Baku (Azerbaijani), 2023.

I- Views of the decade: On The Predictability Of The Experimental

Some 15 years ago, at a too busy moment in the spring of 2007, while
participating as a resident at Okno Brussels in a mini-festival with
some (media) artists, Dusan Barok attended a lecture by G. Knivol at a
video art gallery/distributor place called Argos. He would write
afterwards on the 'mtp-teoria' list in a so-called email titled "echo
from Knivol's lecture":

	besides other things what i found interesting was his definition of new
	media art as "form searching for the forms" and the four strategies of
	"how to get out of media art misery" he closed the speech with

At that time, for most experimental artists it was not the point at all
where the thing was heading for. Clearly most of us were working with
computers, electronics and any media altogether. We were searching for
techniques to work with in a creative way, and whatever the medium or
outcome would be, in the true tradition of the experimental artist, we
were prepared to go for it and took it one step further, and once the
impact of the experiment had become apparent, we moved on. We were
seeing for a long time already the growing dichotomy with the
video-related groups, it was not getting any better since they joined
the contemporary boring art scene. At that time there were more
discussions about disciplinary former century matters as they were all
pretty paralyzed by it as we remember. Besides, they were not
questioning the materiality of their trade at all, so we left the
discussions dying like the last mammoths and dinosaurs on their own
area. And then came Knivol's lecture. We did not go, only Dusan Barok.
And he reported on the mtp-teoria list. And as we happened to live in
Bratislava, and the mtp stood for Multiplace, a kind of networked
festival at that time, we were reading it. Well, Knivol had always been
kind of a slick person, driving on what he heard from others and always
carving out secret alliances. And then he was in Argos, where openly
was said they did not give a damn about media art, they were going for
video and film. Don't get us wrong, we were never against any media.
But about the way of working, we being algorithmic composers and
computer based felt always left on another side. But we accepted that
fact, and did not further criticize others for whom leaving a
pragmatically favorable setup would have been out of the question for
sure. There were few joint initiatives at that time anyway.

We are mentioning all this, because Argos used to be a good heaven for
certain parts of art, and to illustrate the mental state of the
audience. Now, Knivol came about in the 1990s in the middle of a small
group of international artists emerging and reinventing themselves as
web and net artists. It were the haydays of industrial development of
internet companies and the group immediately started to inscribe itself
into media activitism, reopening long forgotten debates of the already
then defunct and obsolete post modernist era. But the combination
proved to be a hit, and fashion, design, clubbing joined in like they
always do when there are outbursts of retro and kitch. Aesthetically
speaking, they could also be described now as rather conservative in
ideas and output, as Tilman Baumgärtel would describe very soon later
in his "net.art 2.0 – Neue Materialien zur Netzkunst" (Nürnberg, 2001).
But at the time of the Knivol appearance in Argos, either most of them
had already disappeared in more favorable commercial (read 'art and
design') surroundings, others took up posts as curators for renowned
galeries, art spaces and festivals, or still others were merely writing
and publishing in small circles and on even smaller email lists.
Meantime, like for 50 years and longer, most of the computer based
artists, who were interested in change for its materiality as we will
show later, were not sitting there and waiting for a definition that
could have affected them in a disastrous way. Luckily it was forgotten
soon after the lecture. The Common Ground Formation was yet not
operational, the Citizen Aesthetical Pact not yet published, and most
official operations were similar to the 20th century fin-de-pomo years.
Same time the Baku 2022 Foundation was setting up a longer term
project, a common practice today, but it did not surface yet for real.

Now, the lecture which was based on a previously published article by
Knivol and as described by Dusan Barok in his email on the mtp-teoria
list, was remarkable in the light of today. And we are wondering why
this could have happened. We don't want to criticize one person
(perhaps Knivol is still alive and we could talk to one another one day
about it again). Here we have to come to a defense against attacks on a
single person. Most of these people at that time could merely be called
trend-watchers like we still find nowadays everywhere in the industrial
and commercial media. We know that they are often wrong but they won't
be judged on the 1000 mistakes if they hit it once right. And oh to
unmask them simply as career makers would drive us too far like to the
edge of conspiracy madness. And after all they are not to blame: the
mistakes Knivol and alikes were making at the time of the lecture could
have been made due to historical blindness. They can be seen as
spokepersons for a dead fashion. It is also like: journalists and
interviewers understand and can reformulate opinions of other people
better but are not necessarily smart enough to build up another
framework. And neither do they often break out of their self-confined
circles of interest. And again even if they magnify themselves and
generalize what is very small in front of their nose only: they are not
to blame for it. And finally times were not very favorable: the sad
negative aftershock of nothing-can-be-new and
we-have-seen-and-understood-it-all post modernism certainly proved no
good to these people. We maintain, and again and again: no, we cannot
blame them for that at all.

Nowadays it is clear that experimental art is not restricted to the
niche of yesterdays' "new media artists" (the term was already fading
at that time, but soit!). Experimental attitudes in media arts have
always been part of the arts in general, of course - forgive me to be
so blunt and ignorant but what is accepted now was perhaps vague at
that time. Only, Paul Klee had already stated that a century before -
and no trace then from 'new media art' believe me! He wrote that the
aim of art was not to produce forms but to stress formations as a
generative process. Klee would even call it a "genetic processes"
himself. We think that this was common knowledge in the experimental
art world, not specifically Klee's words but in general as a common
idea and in an implicit way before, at that time and afterwards. And
now comes the puzzling conclusion: if Knivol had been aware of it, why
didn't he take it into account when he was predicting media art's
future?

So either Knivol was not really affiliated with contemporary art in
general, or he was making up his own mind about it. In the former case
it would mean he was not really that important as an expert in the
field. But what was he doing in Argos then, besides driven by
cultural-personal or -political ambitions? The latter statement would
suggest he was making it up to fulfill his own (wrong as we know now)
predictions for the (non-existing as we also know now) field. And it is
still to be seen if this purblind critical pose was put up on purpose
or not. Knivol once declared with pride he was a 'super-pragmatist',
philosophically speaking of course but ironically it can describe also
a way of taking part in a culture and a society. Here we are coming to
a point: an attitude! What attitude were his predictions promoting? And
forgive me, as we were only mentioning ourselves above as a proof that
we were working and thinking differently, we in the middle of many
others, we were no exception. So let us proceed...

Strangely enough the categories Knivol was effectively describing for
the future of media art were suspiciously identical to the sectors he
was at the time drawing his income from: the fake half company half
ngo's where his former net-art companions were working in, the revibed
with computer art video and film festivals that overnight born former
media artists now curators promoted, the larger publishing houses or
the self invented university section in amsterdam they put up and
renamed and rebuilt at will and according to funding needs. Basically
by the time Knivol was marketing his analysis, the 1990s web-art group
had exclusively moved into the most neo-liberal section of the arts.
Pop always kills content, people say, since it is enslaved by profit
making in various ways. Certainly we mention here above the hollow
places that were hardly sustainable from the cultural side but
altogether profitable from economical view. Good they were all
officially added to the industrial development plan a couple of years
later and the government issues restrictions on "one artist a company"
in the end. For sure for 2 decades it had been the hope for survival of
many small but also bigger cultural groups Knivol had set up himself
and been involved in before (Mediamatic, Waag Society, ...). But like
we mentioned before, their only intention was to become like an
industrial subcompany working for television groups, private education,
design companies, and city marketing initiatives. They even built fake
development labs for it at one time and got even funded by the
government when sometimes they went bankrupt. But it is certainly true
they had no content what so ever in any of the arts, including media
arts.

So basically Knivol's prognosis for media arts sounded to us as a
description of the state of Knivol's own career:
1. new media art as an autonomous discipline
2. new media art as part of contemporary art (video and film and
internet).
3. new media art as part of science
4. new media as a "creative industries"

We laughed out loud and never came back to it. But remembering that
now, we all must be thankful that not any of the 4 predictions did
really happen afterwards. It would have meant an utter disaster if more
than one had become reality. Of course after 15 years and more we are
in a safe position, and it seems easy to slash down Knivol's and any
other prognosis as anachronistic, career driven, or as unoriginal
mish-mash. Taking up residence now in Baku, we are still reflecting on
what future we can expect from most of the experimental young artists
today, 2023. We are still worried about the willingness and easiness of
governments, industry, academy, education and single persons, to
generalize and in the end, give in too easily to the production and
consumption of artifacts instead of art. And like Knivol failed to see
at that time what Paul Klee already made explicit before: that the
experimental artist is and was and will always be preoccupied with
tilting the stability of the four Knivol predictions out of equilibrium
instead of realizing one (or more). Then the experimentalist will sit
back and watch it all happen, maybe pick up a new medium, look at it
again critically, think on how this affords new creative actions that
suggest original materials and processes. What else interests the
artist to work with technology and media, if s/he cannot experiment? So
we know that this questions a society and its activities thoroughly.
That is why the media arts and real activism could come together and
create the new aesthetics, like we all have witnessed over the last
decade. We took up Knivol's lecture to warn and not to forget that we
are still under constant threat of being paralysed by attitudes like
the ones popular within the groups mentioned above in the past. And the
past is there to learn from, no?

We come out of a troubled decade but for sure nowadays the positive
merging of socio-cultural collectives, media and communication
activists, and experimental artists can only be productive and
interesting the coming years. So let's look at the future. Nowhere in
the 2007 Knivol discussion fun was even mentioned, or beauty, and these
both have proven to be important convergence factors after all. The
only thing media art by itself could contribute to - and what was
documented the years to follow this maybe trivial anecdote - was that
it proved to be the first type of groups that developed strategies for
bringing together hypothetically any field without compromising itself
with neo-liberalism.

In fact at the moment when EU was at the height of its expansion,
defining new definitions for functional colonization and domination,
especially in the second european zone like we know now (remember the
political song "where wages were low and investments high", anonymous
2009). But thanks to more open visions, very disparate fields of
society - not so much driven by profit and self-interest - were working
at a new experimental art. The thing that would bring them together in
the years to follow was a new aesthetics for action, implemented with
its own technological devices and systems. Experimental strategies were
finally accepted widely as the way to create and luckily this is still
continuing. This, and this stupid only thing, would counter the radical
privatisation trends of the first decade of the 21st century and
establish some interesting movements with a dangling new appearance.
Pop and elitarianism were gone with a bang.

So now at my old age and coming out of this former era, maybe it is
better to do it at once and to destroy our sad archives full of bad
prognoses and sterile self-repeating discussions. Maybe it is better to
forget the former labels and concentrate on current content. And let's
also delete the implosion in communication happening shortly after the
Knivol presentation. Because now these days media do matter again for
political, social and aesthetically innovative reasons. We have open
and collaborative developments that are giving us new instruments and
tools for making interesting creative artifacts, for amateurs and
professionals altogether. So why look back or turn elsewhere?

The last thing to add. We are happy to share with you our own
prediction of what is to happen after today 2023. It is easy, and not
divided in four outcomes that lead to the same state of boredom: that
the future of anything from now on will still be thoroughly
unpredictable like it was in all previous times. And this may sound
more to you, like an epitaph from an old hypothetical utopianist, from
the Baku 2022 Foundation after the event has taken place already. But
at least it makes no effort to drive anyone in a corner and run away
secretly with the dish prepared by others. If anyone tells you what is
to be stable and neatly labelled hereafter, beware and beware again
(zly pes)! There must be a career or an organisation lurking behind the
corner that is ready to cash in on you! So our advice is, before we
leave you here: don't believe anyone and just cultivate something else!
The difference will be of importance, like it always has been! Goodbye.

II- Views of the decade: A Long Term Vision Growing Gradually Shorter
Until It Was Over (review, December 2023)

At the opening of the Baku 2022 Foundation's last performance "last
year +1", its facilitator Gívan Belá (G~B) would come up with some
statements about the making of this performance over 20 years. He
described the work of some of the early media artists and
socio-C-groups (remember they had to work mainly in the dark), then
mentioned everyone involved (luckily the single artwork approach is
gone) and moved to today's after-initiatives (from which he is
withdrawing). He also illustrated the problems on trans national level
still not solved with virtual organisations and creative long-projects.
The struggle of the Baku 2022 Foundation - because of their refusal to
register themselves in a definite geographical setting, read
regio-locks, and the consecutive financial and legal problems they were
facing because of that -  shaped also some new ideas for establishing a
greater autonomy for areas of creative collaboration. One of the
benefits of setting up a long-project was definitely that it fostered
some 'other' works that were driving on the abundance of time. See
included. The results, impacts and works were as futile as they always
pretended to be.
An issue - which only exists now in histo-musea - was that
short-project curators were becoming dysfunctional and almost ironical
in the process of producing this performance. The second major change
from a decade ago was the no-area-discipline that came about, and that
replaced the paralysed development of former media art, which lost
itself in political fragmentation, more and more labels and no content.
Basically the aesthetical reveil in which more and more active groups
took place since then benefitted tremendously the dissolvement of art
from the hierarcho-analysts that ruled these organisations themselves.

Then G~B would demonstrate the cPAPA device that they used for the
performances last year. Like the name already suggests (the computed
action performance publication archival device) the real time
holographic calculator was merely driving on the accumulated images in
the sheet, and reconfigured itself in the daylight, but with the aid of
others that jacked in into leaving unclear what the others really did
in there. G~B claimed he did not know himself since he only manipulated
its tilt and reassemblage physicality. He made an immediate copy for us
and said we should do the same and find out. "That is the interesting
thing that you can leave the original in its place and move the
simulators for offspring", he added. Any reader is getting
automatically a copy so we don't have to include the description here
neither. "In the past we were asked from time to time to describe
things like 'print media in the future', or to talk about any other
hard- and software, organisation, or performance. But since we were not
selling anything and were concentrating on aesthetical, creative and
collaborative techniques instead of technology, we always refused this.
Since the cPAPA can be used integrated now, there are no workshops, no
lectures, no print piles, no streams and broadcasts, no transmitted
smart-asses needed anymore. It is a lib and locus in itself and
ecologically safe." (G~B).

Then he refused to explain the current state of hypothutop, referring
to the former publications on hypothetical utopianism by mxHz. It had
now become obsolete anyway. As we asked a final characterization of the
Baku 2022 foundation he chuckled with a smile: "A Long Term Vision
Growing Gradually Shorter Until It Was Over." The full text and
interviews with the rest of the activitants are in the cPAPA copy,
including their building blocks and unique protos. Don't store too dry
to keep longer fresh.