The Jan Koniarek Gallery is named after the founder of Slovak sculpture Jan Koniarek (30.1. 1878 Voderady - 4. 5. 1952 Trnava). It was founded at 1st June 1976.
The gallery is from April 1st 2002 administered by the Self-Governmental Unit in Trnava. As a non-profit organisation it presents topical tendencies of art of 20th and 21st century. The art of Slovak as well as foreign artists is presented in two exhibition spaces: Koppel House and Synagogue - Centre of Contemporary Art. In the year 2002 the gallery opened the new permanent exposition of sculptural works of Jan Koniarek in the extension of the Koppel House building.
The mission of the gallery is to collect artworks and to mediate them to the public, as well as to process data and to pursue research. The gallery has a professional library and also provide lecture program.
Gallery is also the founder member of the international network of institutions that present contemporary art - Art Centres of Europe.The gallery is the main organiser of the competition Trnava Poster Triennial.