[mtp-teoria] call for discussion intermedia

givan bela g at 13m3.sk
Sat Jun 30 15:09:04 CEST 2007

Hi Palo,

What I think is a problem in general in czech and slovak repubics in
learning and teaching media art properly (and not only in that area of
course) is the level of understanding of particularly english and
german of the students, which is an obstacle to understanding theory
and practical information about media art itself. Since the local
publications merely scratch the surface and on top of that are mostly
dated, a student or teacher who is not able to read in english, german,
etc.. is literally handicapped scientifically and artistically today. I
do believe that local situations and questions are important but the
way we deal with them is equally important. Furthermore it becomes a
very claustrofobic situation when one does not see relationships and
contradictions in local situations in a wider area, and how these are
discussed in general - and I am afraid the better analysis and
hypotheses are not formulated primarily in czech or slovak, but ... in
english these days... (I found out also that german translations to and
from english are very quick in being published, so that is a partial
solution...) - personally I was shocked about the level of discussion
and insight, with +20 year old (and older)) art students over the last
years due to the language problem - and that points for sure to a real
existing "local" problem that should be looked into asap!