[mtp-teoria] Má pojem nová média dnes je¹tì co øíci?

slavo krekovic slavo at 34.sk
Thu Aug 9 17:11:06 CEST 2007

hey, just a brief explanation:
in the discussion with pavel, i was just trying to claim that the new
media culture is no longer an easily definable entity as it maybe was
back in the 90s, and that we should also rethink the term new media (is
there still anything new about them? until when?), as well as consider
the problem whether technology (becoming more and more widespread and
available) can still be the key definition aspect of any social,
cultural or artistic movement nowadays. these ideas came from the
debates that we had around multiplace festival --- we decided not to use
the words "new media culture" in the title anymore --- and also from a
talk i had with andreas broeckmann. i partly understand pavel's
viewpoint, also because our problem is that, on one hand, we want to
build up some infrastructures and find funding for "new media art"
projects in our "special" countries, but on the other hand, there has to
be a critical debate around this topic as well --- reflecting the
social, but also aesthetic changes that we experienced in the last
couple of years (e.g. something that i would temporarily call
*post-digital aesthetics* --- this can be seen also in new ways of using
old media, influenced by the digital). but i am in no way defender of
any transhumanist or techno-fetishist ideologies that probably
could/should support the discourse around the funding of cultural projects.
ciao,