[80c] Virtual Memory

Julian Brooks jbeezez at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 10:39:31 CET 2012

"swap files/partitions?"

Apologies for vagueness.  Yeah I think so, the standard stuff when setting
up a fresh install.

It just occurred to me that from (what was to me anyway) the earliest
points where you could use computers for tweaking/stretching/recording
audio (on Macs at the time) in the 1990's, virtual memory was an absolute
no-no.

I always avoided it from when I jumped ship to xp at the beginning of the
00's but Linux-land has always had it and I never gave it much thought - up
until now.

Soz if it's not really very interesting - for me starting afresh should
mean questioning all previously held assumptions.

Obviously I would like to squeeze as much ooomph out of my machine as
possible but I don't want it to be counter-productive.

Another boring question that I'm sure I could find various answers too from
searching around but I would like to hear the communities thoughts:

If virtual memory is fine for audio, how far can you push it ratio-wise;
physical - virtual?  Hard drive space is soooo cheap these days why don't I
give my machine 32/64/4096 Gig of virtual RAM then?  And I can video edit
everyone's stuff all day long:)

I do *get* that there's only so much data needed to be held at any one time
- in live laptop performance, for example, I like having a buffer with a
send from a mixing desk containing a minutes worth of everyones audio which
I can dip into at will.  Now that's not going to contain more than a couple
of hundred meg but I've also got other stuff going on and it all stacks
up.  There was a recent post on the pd-list where HCS and a few others
basically rubbished the idea of splitting tasks across cores (I have 2)
because Pd is already doing lots of jiggery-pockery as it is.

Not sure if that helps but it's the questioning of previously held
assumptions that interests me most here (then again it could also just be
procrastination).

Julian