[80c] time

David Griffiths dave at pawfal.org
Fri Apr 20 17:25:36 CEST 2012

On 04/20/2012 12:50 AM, Charles Céleste Hutchins wrote:
> One of the things that came up at the Sc symposium is that most of the
> laptop bands have written their own libraries to do roughly the same
> things.  There is a shortage of standardisation around network music
> in general.

Another one is the Mandelbrot's system (MandelHub):

https://github.com/cappelnord/BenoitLib

The interesting thing about this IIRC is that it also allows access to a
general purpose, shared, synced dictionary/hashmap (for storing e.g.
chord progressions), as well as beat timing.

I also very much liked their design statement - that it "only" has to be
accurate to what would be expected of human performers, not nearly
sample accurate.

It's been a while since I looked at this last, but what is the minimal
requirement for syncing? Is it essentially a 'simple' portable network
clock which is fast to set up and easy to run, without the exacting
requirements and over engineering of ntp?

Once you have 'good enough' common time reference, is the rest 'trivial'?

cheers,

dave