[80c] Replacing facebook

alex alex at slab.org
Fri Apr 20 14:55:15 CEST 2012

> On 04/20/2012 11:40 AM, Dan S wrote:
>> Responding to the OP since the discussion has gone away from Alex's
>> question about promoting events. Just ran a really big (and fantastic
>> :) event, and standard networks (twitter and facebook, plus mailing
>> list communities) have been 100% vital in getting people aware and
>> getting people in. It's the standard "network effects" problem.

This really depends on the type of event.  Dorkbotlondon can get 100
people in a room just by emailing their own very large mailing list,
built up mainly through word of mouth.  Every now and then it has a
more 'outreachy' event called something like 'dorkfest' that is
promoted more widely, I guess that's when facebook etc as well as
timeout comes in handy.

If dorkbotlondon and others seeded a digital/arts events resource (via
some opt-in method I guess) it could have a lot of people using it
straight away.

>> However good or bad diaspora might be (I have an account, um,
>> somewhere), its technical or moral differences from facebook are
>> irrelevant as long as it isn't the dominant network for some
>> particular purpose or stratum of society. I'm really really keen on
>> reaching out to wider pools of people, both in terms of the technical
>> things that people like me do, and also in terms of the social
>> concerns that need to be considered around technologies. Unfortunately
>> there's a bootstrap problem - we can't get our random half-interested
>> friends off facebook and onto something else, because network effects
>> mean they quite reasonably realise there's not much there for them.

Yes I agree completely.  I guess if we did make another resource it
could still have a facebook app, and doesn't stop people also putting
things on facebook.

>> Alex talks about event-promotion and "it should be quite easy to bring
>> this function outside of facebook". Unfortunately, no, because the
>> "function" includes the massively-connected network of friends. There
>> are plenty of services that already offer exactly this service
>> (last.fm, songkick, ...) and are not unpleasant. But they don't have
>> the associated network of half-interested people.

Event promoters like putting their events wherever they can, so it's
easy to get events in a resource.  I agree the resource would mainly
be for the interested rather than for outreach to the
not-yet-interested, but I still think it'd be a nice thing to have.

On 20 April 2012 13:35, Kaj Ailomaa <ailomaa at warpmail.net> wrote:
> I don't think, for the most part, that the spreading of information is much
> affected. If something is interesting to someone, it will be passed on.

This is absolutely true.  The most important thing I've found is
creating an interesting event, once that is done, you don't really
need to promote it...  You just need to let a few people know and they
tell everyone else.  That is, unless you want to reach people outside
of the normal networks (in the original sense), like Dan says.

> It'll eventually end up on facebook nevertheless.
> Personally, I don't see much benefit from using facebook for promoting
> events.

I get a lot of people clicking "I will go to this event" but then not
turning up, so it's totally useless for gauging numbers.

alex

--
http://yaxu.org/