[80c] Penis Linux, a small debian-based new distro

alex alex at slab.org
Tue Apr 10 12:09:06 CEST 2012

On 10 April 2012 00:33, Kassen <signal.automatique at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The problem is the faultlessness that you cite - they are so
>> big on democracy and purity of approach, that they cannot comprehend
>> that they are massively compromised by a serious ethical problem.
>
> Check. I can see how that would work and I agree that this is a real
> problem. However, as you put it it read like Debian had some sort of
> problem absent in -say- Fedora or Arch. It's not clear to me that that
> is true, though from the above it is indeed not clear that that was
> what you intended to imply either. It may well have been just my
> reading.

Yes the research in question was certainly looking at FLOSS
communities as a whole, although yes I did imply Debian had a specific
problem.  That was unfair I agree, although it would be interesting to
see how far the problem does generalise.  I'd imagine a lot of
variation is possible, for example I would recommend a female hacker
steered away from Rails, and perhaps tried a Python web framework
instead.

>> It's easy to romanticise free software and hacker culture, for some
>> good reasons, but it's easy to forget how aggressively exclusionary we
>> can be, and that's a massive problem considering what we wish to
>> achieve.
>
> That is, indeed, quite true :-(.

One of the stand out points of that research I posted is that womens
experience of free software is very different from mens.  Here's a
really sad story from Natacha Porte:
  http://fossil.instinctive.eu/libupskirt/wiki?name=about-the-name

Best wishes,

alex